Tuesday, October 16, 2007

You'll Never Walk Alone

This morning on my way to work I heard Gerry and The Pacemakers version of the song again on my CD player, and felt compelled to look it up on Wikipedia. I've heard the song countless times ever since my younger brother told me it was Liverpool FC's song (as you can guess, he's a die hard fan), don't ask me why today of all days :)

You'll Never Walk Alone is one of those songs that seldom fails to stir the emotions of those who hear it, no matter whether its sung by singers with soaring vocals or hoarse football fans.

As mentioned in Wikipedia, the song as it was used in the musical Carousel was meant to comfort after the death of a character, which explains the mournful first part of the song. Later, the song segues into a defiant exhortation and shout of encouragement. By the time the singer reaches the line "And You'll Never Walk Alone" a myriad of emotions goes through the listener, and more often than not, tears flow freely.

The lyrics of the song also plays a big part in its power. They seem to apply to a lot of situations that most of us face every now and then, and listening to the song usually reminds us of the things we've been going through.

You can hear Gerry and The Pacemaker's version here, Ray Quinn's version here, and Jordin Sparks version here.




You'll Never Walk Alone

When you walk through the storm Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm

There's a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on, through the wind
Walk on, through the rain

Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

2 comments:

Anonymous 3:03 am  

The die hard Liverpool (Lausaifool) fan speaking. I knew it was their so called anthem from the media. But I've never heard the song sung by Liverpool fans at the terrace on the TV screen before I heard the CD I found (probably in 1997) at SS2 in your bedroom of all places. Football coverage at the time was minimal, usually highlights shows and FA cup finals. How things have changed since as we now have blanket coverage of almost every match at Astro. My obsession with Liverpool started with the infamous defeat by Wimbledon 1988. However, over the years, I've increasingly become more neutral. Of course, I was delighted when Liverpool won the 2005 Istanbul match. But now I support nobody. I like La Liga better than EPL but the times are too hard. They caught my passion during the 97/98 season (Barcelona was champion) when TV3 bought the rights and showed a lot of matches. The one that really stuck in my mind was the el classico (Madrid vs Barca) at Bernebau. Barca won the match 3-0 and I remembered that Barca played almost the perfect game. It was a game unlike any I have ever seen before and unlikely to be seen again even by the current Barca team. Which is why I have a healthy respect for van Gaal and Dutch football ever since.

Ivy 3:23 pm  

Hey Pat, thanks for introducing the song. We don't subscribe to Astro so I've never watched American Idol(local TV is bad enough for us...becoming coach potatoes!).

True to your words, the song pulls at the strings of your heart...and tears just seem to be the natural way of letting our feelings flow as we listen to it. Very amazing. Thanks again!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP