Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Down and Out

Been down with a nasty throat infection in the last few days. This is the second time in the last few months that I had to take MC, feeling a bit embarrassed about it.

When I was in my first job, it was a good four years before I took my first MC. Alas, there was no award for such an exemplary record.

As I grew older, my MC's averaged about 1 a year, nowadays its more like twice or three times a year. Sigh, guess I have to take better care of myself, my immune system is not what it used to be.

Either that, or the bugs are getting stronger. For the throat infection, the doctor originally gave me some normal antibiotic, but as I got worse, I went back to him again and was given a generic brand of Cefixime to kill off the bug. I googled it up and found out that it was originally called Suprax, made by Wyeth. Apparently Cefixime should only be given if the doctor strongly believes that the infection is very serious and normal antibiotics are not working. If Cefixime is prescribed for every bug we get, the bugs may mutate and become resistant to it.

Thank God for my case Cefixime seems to be working, though I was a little concerned it may not work anymore in the future.

I also have to stay away from my daughter for a few days, lest I pass the bug to her :(

5 comments:

Anonymous 10:26 pm  

hv a good rest. and read lots of books.

Ivy 11:12 am  

Yeah, we've got to learn to stay off medicines and antibiotics as much as possible, though it's not easy when we have to work.

My husband & I have been taking colostrum for about a year now and we find that it has gradually helped strengthen our immune system. You might want to check out this website http://www.icnr.org/ it provides neutral info on colostrum.

mygreatbuds 9:12 am  

It is frustrating when one is down and I have experiecing myself this month...twice.

One is early of the month and the 2nd one is now...

I can relate this due to my hectic lifestyle and sign of aging...:) not like before when we are younger (btw, so far, touch woods...never MC in my life during school or at work)

Antibiotic is useful as it is effective. If we just rely on our normal defense system, we may infect our close contacts. I try once of not seeing the doctor...it is worst and suffering..So, no worries but make sure we finish t he prescription.

At the same time, prevention is better than cure, of course, building one immune is always good. Colostrum is good...cow first milk..provides a lot of goodies. Exercise is must and practise our breathing (chi) also help in the immune system.

Heroes 3:51 pm  

Hey, Pat, you thought you still young in the 20s kar. Our immune system is not that strong anymore.

Nowadays, the bugs are getting stronger and even our ever strong "Buds" also get sick easily (twice this month). :-)

I seldom go to consult doctor when get sick as I don't like to take medicine UNLESS no choice which mean very very sick.

mygreatbuds 8:51 am  

2nd thought...may be not that our immune is not strong but long exposure with those weak immune system will also increase our chance of been infected...

Those with kids going to kindi is prone to infections as may be in contact with sick ones at the kindi and got infected. Then coming back infecting those at home as sleeping in aircon room with the parents.

Stay away from kids is good step to prevent the cycle of infections. As when they are sick...woosh..we shall also be sick mentally...so better we are sick..leh:)

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP