Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Misdiagnosed

I guess in this age of overcommercialization, my story is not really such a surprise after all.

It started innocently enough. On Sunday I had a slight sore throat, but was beginning to get the chills and body aches. Come Monday morning, I decided to see a GP at Pusat Bandar Puchong. The lady doctor I met seemed skeptical of my condition, it sounded like she thought I was just trying to get an MC to avoid work on a Monday morning :)


Nevertheless, she declared that I had a viral infection and gave me some Panadols and NSAIDS. Now for those of you who do not know the difference between viral and bacterial infections, in terms of treatments what it means for the case of bacterial is that you get to have antibiotics to help you, while for viral you basically have to rely on your body's immune system. She even checked my throat and declared it "nothing".

I was miserable the whole Monday despite the medication, and on Tuesday, decided to go back to the same clinic. This time it was a male doctor. Again. he took a look at my throat and didn't think it was serious. He thought the NSAID I was prescribed was not suitable and gave me another type.

So, again, I spent the whole of Tuesday with body aches and fever, cursing my immune system for not doing its job. Finally, at 6 pm, I decided to go to a hospital to do a blood test (just in case its dengue) and a second opinion.

The lady doctor took a very close look at my throat, and said "You have very bad tonsilitis, can already see pus coming out". I was like, huh? I told her my GP said it was viral infection. She just smiled and didn't say anything. The dengue blood test confirmed that I was fighting a bacterial infection.

So, finally armed with some antibiotics, I suffered for another 1 hour before it kicked in. Relief, at last!

So, lesson learned. Don't trust your GP 100%. If you have doubts, always get a second opinion, after all, its your body and your health.

But I still don't understand how two different doctors from the same clinic can get it wrong. Maybe they think alike? Maybe they were just too overloaded and had mentally formed certain opinions about people like me? Anyway, having lost my trust, I doubt I will be going there anymore.

3 comments:

USoup 12:04 am  

Here's the behind the scene usually:
On the first day, the first doctor saw nothing there, and declared it viral infection, AND record down the diagnosis under your medical record.
On the second day (when things get worsen, and pus were coming out), the second doctor read the previous medical note (which perhaps the first doctor indicated "false alarm, typical monday MC syndrome"), do a simple check on your throat (otherwise he has no reason to charge you consultation fee again), and prescribed you another medication (probably he engaged different drug supplier, you know, they earn comissions).
Then when you went to hospital, the doctor there has no trace of your GP's medical records, and made their own diagnosis. She smiled probably because of a few reasons:
1. She is smarter than the GPs (and has bragging rights then).
2. You're paying higher rate for evening visit (isn't it?)
3. Luckily she has no access to your GP's medical record, otherwise she would have come out with the same diagnosis.
4. And finally, instead of visiting the hospital on the 2nd day, in the morning, you keep on visiting the same clinic, and hoping that the 2nd GP will tell you that the 1st GP in his clinic was wrong!

Welcome to medical industry...

Pat 9:03 am  

Usoup, i think you are right on all counts! :)

I think that's what probably happened :)

Ann 12:36 pm  

ooosssshhhh.....not the first time I have heard of this.

Seems professionals aren't what they used to be anymore! One day lawyers may be the most trustworthy people!

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP