Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Credit Card

I paid my credit bill this month. Nothing special in that, except for the fact its the first time in 10 years that I do not have any outstanding balances on any of the cards that I own.

When I first accepted the offer of a Citibank telesales girl in 1996, little did I realize that it'll be another 10 years before I could claim myself debt free, car and housing loans aside.

The first month itself, I owed about 2000 bucks, and things went downhill since. Somehow many things happened along the way that conspired to make sure that I kept a balance.

First I owed large sums of money due to making cash advances to pay stock market losses during the Asian economic crisis. I then overspent on various vices for a few years before deciding to clean up my act when I met my wife .

When we got married four years ago, we made steady progress in paying the debt down, before house moving again forced us to pile up.

Each time when the end seemed near, something always seem to crop up and we left a balance.

We did have some other savings, but the card debt was something we wanted to get rid off using our monthly cashflow.

Finally, last month, by divine providence some extra cash came unexpectedly, and now, I'm finally able to say, truly, yes, its paid. Phew.

My good friend Egg never had a credit card and was planning to finally get one a few months ago. To him, my sincere advice is - make sure you pay it off every month! If you leave it hanging once, it'll hang on to you like a leech. I've been there :)

5 comments:

Soh Eng Guan 6:53 pm  

Got mine and take note on your advice...

© k.a.y.l.e.e.© 10:40 pm  

I'm still there Ling! Haha!

Anonymous 9:32 pm  

wow, it's been a long ten years man... it a debt when i bought my car 2 years ago, thankfully it's also cleared now...

forestfyre 12:08 am  

Haha... though I have more than 1 credit cards, I still prefer to use cash when paying for things. The only reason I use my cards is for the direct debit for maxis and fitness first, and of course, to enjoy the discounts offered to HSBC card holders. Imagine, 10% discount in the Guess store is a lot man.

And of course, we need our cards when we travel overseas... Unless the company has established a good contractual and billing agreement with the hotel we are staying, else, forging out RM10k++ for the hotel bill is no joke man.

Can we describe this as a hate-it-but-still-love-it kinda relationship? Hahaha.

Anonymous 6:01 pm  

Yes, I agree with you Pat...been bitten before by the credit card and it still bite me here and there...Help! I work above one of the biggest shopping center in KL :p
Nowadays I dun bring my purse or bags to lunch - just some cash in a tiny bag. "That's all you have lady!(RM20) - so forget about that Salvatore Ferragamo sale, ok!!!"

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP