Thursday, December 06, 2007

Home (Part 1)

In a few months, it will be five years since I moved into my house in Puchong. This would be the longest I've ever stayed in a single place since I left Sibu in December 1988. Prior to leaving home I had stayed in Sibu for 8 years.

I went to study in KL in 1989, and rented a room in SS18 Subang Jaya from a couple. You should see Subang Jaya in those days - there was hardly any traffic and I used to walk to the college in the morning. Evenings were usually spent at the mamak stall in SS14. Unbelievably, roti canai used to cost 40 sen then.

I was back in Sibu again for 4 months before I went study in PJ, where I rented a room in Section 6 from an Indian family. They had a dog who still failed to recognize me even after I stayed there for more than a year.

I was then in Belfast for 4 years, during which I stayed in the uni hostel for 2 years, then apartment, then hostel again.

So, up to this point, from the 1988 my abodes went something like this:

Subang Jaya SS18/4 rented room (11 months)
Sibu (4 months)
PJ Section 6 rented room (14 months)
Sibu (3 months)
Belfast Hamilton Hall (9 months)
Sibu (3 months)
Belfast Sir Rowland Wright Hall (9 months)
Belfast Rugby Avenue (14 months)
Sibu (1 month)
Belfast Hamilton Hall (9 months)
Ballynahinch Chinese Restaurant (6 months)


When I came back to KL, I foolishly shipped almost all my stuff back from Belfast. Imagine dragging all those boxes through the following:-

Stephen Chung's House in Taman Supreme, KL (2 months)
Rented room in PJ Section 10 (5 months)
House in PJ Section 14 (1 month)

After that, together with my two brothers and a couple of other friends we found this place in PJ SS2/18 to call home for 4 and a half years. I then shifted to SS2/10 for another 2.5 years. After I got married, I stayed in PJ Section 17 for 5 months.

So, finally in February 2003, I moved to my current house in Puchong. 7 years after I left Belfast, I finally got to unpack my boxes from Belfast and put the stuff in my study room.

6 comments:

Heroes 5:28 pm  

It's a journey of life that most people would go through like what you had for the past 19 years. Personally I would feel that it was a memorable moment for you while staying at a different places.

I am not surprise that the dog can't recognise you because you are chinese. :-)

I was staying with you, your brothers and some friends at SS2/18for about 2 years from 1998-2000. Although that was about 9 years back but it's still fresh in my mind of all the sweet and sad moments in the house.

Pasar malam at SS2 every Monday and Chow Yang every Thursday, OK Restaurant, Snooker, Badminton, watch movies etc.....what a great moment!

Heroes 5:29 pm  

BTW, where is KC and the 3 sisters?

Anonymous 5:58 pm  

Casey got married and he probably lives in Subang. That's the last I've heard of him. The 3 sisters??? Over to you, Pat. I still remember them well. Especially the elder sister who let us see recorded Taiwan Super Sunday every week. And the mysterious 2nd sister who seems to have a new boyfriend every month. I think she becomes a kinder garden teacher as we got a result letter of her exam but never got a chance to send it to her as we lost all contacts.

Ann 12:52 pm  

I have also transfered all round Msia since birth....some of our things are still in boxes in my parent's place.

Maybe will unpack them when I have some time. Don't know what treasures will unfold! :)It's like opening a Xmas present!

Anonymous 4:56 pm  

KC got married? wow! that's the same KC your ex-colleague right?

Anonymous 7:50 pm  

Yes. He met his wife at a church just after we moved out to the house near Cheow Yang. He moved to Subang as he works as a lecturer at one of the college there. I last saw him at SS2 during my convo in 2000. He said he was getting married real soon as both of them are not young anymore (She was also in her 30s).

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP