Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Home (Part 2)

Part of calling a place a home is not just the house that we stay in, but also the places nearby that we regularly go to. I'm referring to places like the church, hairdresser/barber, kopi tiam, etc that give us a sense of belonging to the place.

When we moved to Puchong almost 5 years ago, my wife and I had stayed in PJ for more than 7 years, and it took us quite a while to switch to the equivalent places in Puchong.

Our hairdresser in PJ was this chatty lady from Penang who loved to talk about everything under the sun, and all her customers seem to know her well. She used to boast that people still drove all the way to Section 17 to look for her long after they have moved. Well, we were one of those people, until a few years ago :)

SS2 and Sea Park being food paradises, we still had our dinners and even our weekend lunches and breakfasts in PJ until Cynthia was born. The stall owners at Chow Yang (now Lim Mee Yoke) used to remember what I like, and often I even automatically get served my usual drink (teh o ice) whenever I go there.

Alas, in Puchong most coffeeshops and stalls are run by foreigners, so there is no sense of belonging to speak of.

Even for pasar malam, we still went to the Thursday Chow Yang one. The usual routine was - get the fishballs and siew mai from the Hokkien auntie in front of OK restaurant, followed by jagung, then paper wrapped chicken, then Anson chee cheong fun, and finally the peanut kuih. I remember all the stalls so well that I could recognize which stalls moved or didn't turn up.

We now go to the Saturday one at Kampung Baru Puchong which, although a bit dirtier, also had a good selection of comfort food.

The only holdout until today is the PJ church we go to. Somehow, the Puchong church just didn't click and we continue to make the 25 km journey to PJ every Sunday.

2 comments:

Ann 10:44 am  

you know with a kid now i wish i had bought a house with a better neighbourhood....far or not from other stuff!

I think you made a good move...everything else (liek food /hairdresser etc.)you can replace or travel to but the comfort of the home and surroundings, you have to accept!

Heroes 3:41 pm  

sometimes it's hard for us to make changes to certain thing that we used to do for many years. I also remembered that chatty lady as I used to go there when I was staying with you in PJ. In Kuching I have my regular hairdresser since 1996, although now I have moved to my house as I find myself very hard to change it. Just don't know why? :-)

Pasar malam at Chow Yang was still my most memorable places during my stay in PJ. Maybe we could go there again when I am in KL one day, ok?

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP